WP1: INDUSTRIAL KELP CULTIVATION SCENARIOS
Participants: SINTEF (lead Dr. Ole Jacob Broch), NIVA, ApN, NTNU, IMR, SES, Hortimare
1) Identify key environmental variables for efficient kelp production.
2) Identify suitable kelp production locations and potential conflicts with natural populations.
3) Estimate future industrial cultivation scenarios ranging in volume from ‘probable’ to ‘extreme’.
WP3: EFFECTS ON OPEN WATER ECOSYSTEMS
Participants: NTNU (lead, Prof. Yngvar Olsen), NIVA, SINTEF, SES
1) Quantify nutrients (N,P) and carbon (CO2) uptake and retention in kelp.
2) Determine carrying capacity of natural phototrophic population in affected regions.
3) Estimate potential of bioremediation benefits by seaweed farming.
WP5: INTEGRATION AND DISSEMINATION
Participants: NIVA (lead Dr. Kasper Hancke), SINTEF, NTNU, ApN, IMR, SES, Hortimare
1) Construct an integrated assessment of positive and negative impacts of industrial kelp production on the coastal ecosystem, using empirical and modelled data.
2) Provide guidance to Norwegian decision makers and managing agencies.
3) Ensure efficient communication of project results and conclusion.
WP2: EFFECTS OF INDUSTRIAL KELP PRODUCTION ON SEA FLOOR ECOSYSTEMS
Participants: NIVA (lead, Dr. Kasper Hancke), SINTEF, ApN, SDU, SES
1) Quantify the potential export of detached kelp biomass from commercial production facilities.
2) Map transport pathways and ‘deposit areas’ for exported kelp.
3) Investigate impact and fate of exported kelp on sea floor habitats under and in vicinity to production sites.
WP4: INDUSTRIAL KELP FACILITIES AS «ARTIFICIAL KELP FORESTS»
Participants: NIVA (lead Dr. Trine Bekkby), ApN, SES, NTNU.
1) Determine the role of kelp cultivation facilities as "artificial forests".
2) Estimate the role of cultivated kelp as medium for distribution of unwanted species.
3) Evaluate the role of cultivated kelp on natural kelp communities.